Vitesse Media Plc (“we”, “us” or “Vitesse Media”) is registered to collect and process personal data under the Data Protection Act 1998 (“Act”). Vitesse Media Plc is the data controller of personal information collected by us for the purposes of the Act. We respect and safeguard the privacy of the users of Vitesse Media Plc’s portfolio of websites and associated companies and microsites (“website”), and readers of our magazines which include Information Age Magazine and What Investment Magazine (“ Magazines”).
1. What information do we gather?
1.1 We gather information that relates to, and can identify you (e.g. your name and address) and information that does not identify you (e.g. a visitor’s behaviour patterns when they visit our website).We collect information that does not identify you to in order to evaluate our site performance/usability, ensure that our site and services run properly and ensure we are paid for advertising services we offer.
We collect information that does not identify you to in order to evaluate our site performance/usability, ensure that our site and services run properly and ensure we are paid for advertising services we offer.We might also collect IP addresses through the placement of cookies which means your numerical address is automatically collected when you access the website and is placed in our Internet access logs.
We might also collect IP addresses through the placement of cookies which means your numerical address is automatically collected when you access the website and is placed in our Internet access logs.
2. How do we gather Information?
2.1 Information is gathered in 2 ways:
(1) indirectly (for example, through our website’s technology or use of an App); and
(2) directly (for example, when you provide information on various pages of the website or when you return any completed coupon published in the Magazines).
2.3 When we collect your information in this way, we will notify you as to how this information will be used and where it will be processed. We will also provide you with the opportunity to indicate your preferences as to the use of your information.
2.4 If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
- receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices; and
- give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad.
2.5 We may monitor and record communications with you (such as telephone conversations and emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance.
3. Cookies and how we use them
3.2 We use the following types of cookie:
(1) strictly necessary cookies enable services you have specifically asked for. We use these cookies for purposes such as allowing you to access secure areas of the website.
(2) Analytics / performance cookies collect anonymous information on the pages visited. They do not collect information that identifies you as a visitor to our website. We only use this information to improve how our website works and not to target you with advertising. We may use these cookies to assess the effectiveness of pay-per-click affiliate advertising, but we do not use them to pass your personal information to advertisers or to target you for advertising.
(3) Functionality / Service cookies remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) to provide enhanced, more personal features. We use these cookies to remember changes you have made to text size and other parts of web pages you can customise.
(4) Targeting cookies or advertising cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. We do not use these cookies on our websites.
You can delete cookies previously sent by us from your computer and set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it. Information on how to do this can be accessed via the help function on your browser.
Please note that if you change your privacy settings to reject cookies we may not be able to provide you with subscription services that have a log-in procedure. To find out more about cookies click here.
3.3 We have no access to third party cookies and third party organisations have no access to ours. Other than allowing the third party cookies to be served we have no part to play in the use of these cookies although we may obtain statistical information from them about advertising on our site. The third party organisations that place cookies have their own strict privacy policies.
3.4 Most browsers allow you to turn off cookies (see below in section 6). However, switching off cookies may restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which the website operates.
4. How do you decide how you want to hear from us?
4.1 We always explain why and how we might contact you at the point you give your information to us. We also provide the means for you to grant or withhold your permission for us to contact you. We do this by using opt out or opt-in tick boxes. If the boxes aren’t there, it’s because we will not use your information for any other purpose than that for which you give it (e.g. to administer a subscription).
4.2 When responding to promotions, offers etc. by postcard or coupon, if you do not wish for your details to be used by us to send you promotions and offers, please make this clear by stating “No Offers”.
4.3 You may modify your preferences or get further information by:
- writing to us at: Data Department, Vitesse Media Plc, 14 Bonhill Street, Shoreditch, EC2A 4BX, or
- manage your preferences through Vitesse Media Plc’s preference centre at preferences.vitessemedia.co.uk
- email to: email@example.com
- Alternatively, you can unsubscribe at anytime from selected or all email communications
5. How we use your information
5.1 We might use your information to:
(1) remember you when you visit our website and track your browsing patterns by using cookies. You can prevent this; section 6 deals with this in more detail;
(2) place your anonymised information into audience segments to identify your interests so that we might serve you with advertisements and offers that will interest you;
(3) ensure any products or services you receive are correctly administered (including subscriptions);
(4) contact you by email, mail, telephone or SMS text message to let you know about any of our products, services or promotions (which, in some cases may be provided by third parties) but only according to the permissions you give us;
(5) ensure materials on the website or in apps are presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer or mobile device;
(6) collate and log numeric internet addresses to improve the website and to monitor website usage;
(7) assess and understand customer feedback and identify usage hotspots.
5.2 If you have subscribed to any of our services, we will use the information you provide to keep you updated on those services unless you have told us otherwise.
6. Managing Cookie Preferences
6.1 Most browsers allow you to turn off cookies. To do this look at the “help” menu on your browser. Switching off cookies may restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which it operates.
6.2 If you would prefer to just restrict third-party cookies, visit youronlinechoices.com or click on the AdChoices logo that you will see in the corner of advertisements that carry behavioural targeting cookies.
7.1 The password you provide when registering with the website is encrypted to ensure protection against unauthorised access of your personal information.
7.2 We invest in high-quality security and do our utmost to protect user privacy. No data transmission over the Internet can be entirely secure, and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information and/or use of the website. Any information that you send is at your own risk and may be read by others. However, once we have received your personal information we use strict procedures both ourselves and with our suppliers to protect the security of your personal information.
8. Disclosing your information
8.1 We may disclose your personal information if required to do i) in order to fulfil any request you have made through us (e.g. ordering goods to be supplied by a third party on our behalf), ii) by law or iii) in good-faith believing such action is necessary to comply with the law or contract e.g. for a bank or card company to process your payment for purchase of goods.
8.2 We will not sell or otherwise share your personal information with third parties without your consent except in the case of our data service providers (who are used for example to manage your subscription).
9. Accessing and Updating your personal information
We want to ensure that we provide you with the best possible service. Please therefore always keep us updated of any changes to your personal information, for example, if your email address changes.
9.1 Right to request a copy of your information
You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of it, please: email, call or write to us.
- email, call or write to us
- let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
- let us know the information you want a copy of, including any account or reference numbers, if you have them
We may charge a small fee of £10 for this service.
9.2 Right to correct any mistakes in your information
You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do this, please:
- email, call or write to us – Data Department, Vitesse Media plc, 14 Bonhill St, EC2A 4BX
- let us have enough information to identify you (eg account number, username, registration details), and
- let us know the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with
9.3 Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing
You can ask us to stop contacting you for direct marketing purposes. If you would like to do this, please:
- email, call or write to us. You can also unsubscribe at any time from our email communications on the unsubscribe link provided in the email.
- let us know what method of contact you are not happy with if you are unhappy with certain ways of contacting you only (for example, you may be happy for us to contact you by email but not by telephone)
9.4 What information do you hold on me?
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be an administrative charge of £10 for providing a copy of this information.
10. What does providing us with personal information mean?
Acceptable use policy
This acceptable use policy (“Policy”) applies as between you, the user of all associated web pages (“Site”) and Vitesse Media Plc company registration number 02607995 and whose registered office is at 5th Floor 6 St Andrew Street, London, EC4A 3AE (“we” “us” “our”).
1.1 Together with our Website Terms and Conditions and Competition Terms and Conditions, this Policy governs how you may access and use the Site.Acceptable use
2. Acceptable use
2.1 We permit you to use the Site for information only and, where applicable, to apply for one of our competitions as advertised on the Site and in accordance with the Competition Terms and Conditions. Use of the Site in any other way, including without limitation in contravention of any restriction on use set out in this Policy, is not permitted. If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, you may not use the Site.
3. Restrictions on use
3.1 As a condition of your use of the Site, you agree: not to use the Site for any purpose that is unlawful under any applicable law or prohibited by this Policy or the Website Terms and Conditions;
3.1.1 not to use the Site for any purpose that is unlawful under any applicable law or prohibited by this Policy or the Website Terms and Conditions; not to use the Site to commit any act of fraud;
3.1.2 not to use the Site to commit any act of fraud; not to use the Site to distribute viruses or malware or other similar harmful software code;
3.1.3 not to use the Site to distribute viruses or malware or other similar harmful software code; not to use the Site for purposes of promoting unsolicited advertising or sending spam;
3.1.4 not to use the Site for purposes of promoting unsolicited advertising or sending spam;
3.1.5 not to use the Site to simulate communications from us or another service or entity in order to collect identity information, authentication credentials, or other information (‘phishing’);not to use the Site in any manner that disrupts the operation of our Site or business or the website or business of any other entity;
3.1.6 not to use the Site in any manner that disrupts the operation of our Site or business or the website or business of any other entity; not to use the Site in any manner that harms minors;
3.1.7 not to use the Site in any manner that harms minors; not to promote any unlawful activity;
3.1.8 not to promote any unlawful activity; not to represent or suggest that we endorse any other business, product or service unless we have separately agreed to do so in writing;
3.1.9 not to represent or suggest that we endorse any other business, product or service unless we have separately agreed to do so in writing; not to use the Site to gain unauthorised access to or use of computers, data, systems, accounts or networks;
3.1.10 not to use the Site to gain unauthorised access to or use of computers, data, systems, accounts or networks; not to attempt to circumvent password or user authentication methods; and
3.1.11 not to attempt to circumvent password or user authentication methods; and to comply with the provisions relating to our intellectual property rights and software contained in our Website terms and conditions of use.
3.1.12 to comply with the provisions relating to our intellectual property rights and software contained in our Website terms and conditions of use.
4. Bulletin boards, chat rooms and other interactive services
4.1 We may make bulletin boards, chat rooms or other communication services (‘Interactive Services’) available on the Site.
4.2 We are not obliged to monitor or moderate any text, images, video, audio or other multimedia content, software or other information or material submitted by you or other users to the Site (“Submissions”) to our interactive services. Where we do monitor or moderate Submissions we shall indicate how this is performed and who should be contacted in relation to any Submission of concern to you.
4.3 We may remove or edit any Submissions to any of our interactive services whether they are moderated or not.
4.4 Any Submission you make must comply with our Submission standards set out below.
5. Submission standards
5.1 Any Submission or communication to us or users of our Site must conform to standards of accuracy, decency and lawfulness, which shall be applied in our discretion, acting reasonably. In particular, you warrant that any Submission or communication is: your own original work and lawfully submitted;
5.1.1 your own original work and lawfully submitted;
5.1.2 actually accurate or your own genuinely held belief; provided with the necessary consent of any third party;
5.1.3 provided with the necessary consent of any third party; not defamatory or likely to give rise to an allegation of defamation;
5.1.4 not defamatory or likely to give rise to an allegation of defamation; not offensive, obscene, sexually explicit, discriminatory or deceptive; and
5.1.5 not offensive, obscene, sexually explicit, discriminatory or deceptive; and
5.1.6 unlikely to cause offence, embarrassment or annoyance to others.
6. Linking and framing
6.1 You may create a link to our Site from another website without our prior written consent provided no such link:
6.1.1 creates a frame or any other browser or border environment around the content of our Site; implies that we endorse your products or services or any of the products or services of, or available through, the website on which you place a link to our Site;
6.1.2 implies that we endorse your products or services or any of the products or services of, or available through, the website on which you place a link to our Site; displays any of the trademarks or logos used on our Site without our permission or that of the owner of such trademarks or logos; or
6.1.3 displays any of the trademarks or logos used on our Site without our permission or that of the owner of such trademarks or logos; or is placed on a website that itself does not meet the acceptable use requirements of this Policy.
6.1.4 is placed on a website that itself does not meet the acceptable use requirements of this Policy.We reserve the right to require you to immediately remove any link to the Site at any time, and you shall immediately comply with any request by us to remove any such link.
6.2 We reserve the right to require you to immediately remove any link to the Site at any time, and you shall immediately comply with any request by us to remove any such link.Using our name and logo
7. Using our name and logo
7.1 You may not use our trademarks, logos or trade names except with our written consent.
8.1 We shall apply the terms of this Policy in our absolute discretion. In the event of your breach of this Policy we may terminate or suspend your use of the Site, remove or edit Submissions, disclose Submissions to law enforcement authorities or take any action we consider necessary to remedy the breach. You may also be prevented from entering any promotion on our Site.
9.1 We will try to resolve any disputes with you quickly and efficiently.If you are unhappy with us please contact us as soon as possible.
9.2 If you are unhappy with us please contact us as soon as possible.If you and we cannot resolve a dispute using our complaint handling procedure, we will:
9.3 If you and we cannot resolve a dispute using our complaint handling procedure, we will: let you know that we cannot settle the dispute with you; and
9.3.1 let you know that we cannot settle the dispute with you; and
9.3.2 give you certain information as required by law.
9.4 If you want to take court proceedings, the relevant courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to this Policy.
9.5 Relevant laws of England and Wales will apply to this Policy.
This Policy was updated on 21 September 2017